Thursday, February 18, 2010

Updates

Okay, late last night, when I should have been sleeping, instead I was sleuthing (and thank you to the Ethical Committee for the Furtherence of Chassidishkeit, or whatever your name was, for enabling me to use the word 'sleuthing'!).
I was very uneasy about how this letter reached my hands (they know what I look like? They were just waiting in 770 until I showed up!!?). It actually is a lot simpler and less sinister. You can sleep better now. The guy who had given me the letter while I was davening is actually someone I know from a while back. I finally got in touch with him late late last night/early early this morning. He has no idea about my blog. My friend Shoime H. found the letter sent to his house, about two days ago. He was leaving to Chicago for a cousin's wedding (mazal tov), and gave it to R.S. to give to me. Shloime knew I'd be davening mincha later in 770. I spoke to Shloime, and he said the letter was in between the gated door and his main front door, with 'Abochurinlubavitch' on the top.

So that was comforting to know. Sort of. The people behind this know I was close friends with Shloime, and that I eat at his house often. I've slept there at times, also.

So here's where we're at as of now: We're doubting the validity to the signatures on my letter, especially because at the bottom of the one TRS received, it was just some pathetic 'Committee' that signed, although clearly from the same morons.
We decided to 'officially' stop blogging, because if these guys mean business, they definitely could go to Rabbanim, if they haven't already. Personally, I don't feel blogging is worth getting into a huge fight with the people of Crown Heights.
We're going to wait it out and see what happens. We hope they don't get wind of this new blog. Oh well.
Our official response is one of caution with slight amusement. If this is really a joke someone's trying to pull, I don't find it funny. Interestingly enough, if these people are serious, that I find amusing. (Whoever 'they' are. Yet to be determined.)

P.S. If anyone else receives a similar letter or message about the internet and/or blogging, please contact either me or TRS right away.
P.P.S. Our legal counsel (nemo) advised us not to post the letter just yet on this blog. Especially if they find out that we didn't really stop blogging. Which is simpler for me, because I don't have a scanner.

7 comments:

Altie said...

i'm still holding out for the 'lol' and laughs that is to come. once upon a time i was gullible... then i grew up. the end.

Just like a guy said...

http://therealbochur.blogspot.com/2010/02/letter.html

Nemo said...

To be sure, I am not an attorney and did not give qualified legal advice. Whatever I told you, I told you as a friend.

Dovid said...

Its definitely not worth it to cause yourselves problems.

BUT the letter doesn't seem to say "stop blogging".

Yossi said...

nemo, I guess you've learned too much already at law. already using backdoors and sliding out of contracts...

e said...

if they don't even know your real name and address, can you expect them to be able to really punish you?

Altie said...

why e, did you get one?

i doubt theres much they can do anyway.